FIRA 2020's E-Book: Agricultural Robotics, part of the new deal?
Throughout the fifth edition of the FIRA in December 2020, more than 1,500 farmers, manufacturers, advanced technology suppliers, innovators, investors, journalists and experts from 71 countries around the world gathered to ask questions, share stories and exchange ideas. There was much to discuss.
This book is a journey into an era of farming that is defined by agricultural robots. It is designed to provide a nuanced look at the industry’s most pressing topics, from the overarching impact of the global food crisis to the everyday influence of semi-autonomous tractors on a family-owned farm in Le Thillay, France. The book reveals the big picture by diving into the details. It achieves this goal by taking a deep dive into the perspectives shared by FIRA 2020 presenters and panelists.
Table of Contents
1. Agricultural Robots Help Farmers Feed the World
- Farm Machinery Must Support Sustainable Agriculture
- The Impacts of the Global Food Crisis
- Holistic Solutions are the Product of Innovation and Education
- Global Problems Require a Collaborative Approach
- The Path to Adoption for Agricultural Robotics
- Advancing Technology Suppliers Can Support Adoption
- Agricultural Robots Benefit Farmers and the World
2. Successful Robot Adoption Depends on Reliability
- Security and Trust
- The Ag Industry Already Loves Technology
- Robot Bashing is an Opportunity
- Farmers, End Consumers Have High Expectations
- Robots Must Be Reliable, Valuable and User-Friendly
- Tech Companies Must Build Trust Through Responsible Practices
and Customer Support 19
- There’s a Lot of Potential and a Lot More Work to Do
3. Farming with No Tractor Driver, is it Possible?
- Civil Liability, Time Machines and the Case for Insurance
- Safety, Security and the Journey to Market
- It's Possible if Farmers Can Rely on the Machines
- It’s Possible if Robot Manufacturers Can Deliver Proper Training
- It's Possible if the Technology is Robust
- It’s Possible if the Driverless Tractors Demonstrate Success
4. Safe Positioning and Image Analysis
- The Importance of Accurate Safe Positioning
- The Importance of Signal Reliability
- The Importance of Deep Learning
- The Importance of Improving Computer Vision
- The Importance of Continual Improvement
5. From Lab to Success Story: What Business Model?
- The Key Technology Trends in Agricultural Robotics
- What Makes a Successful Robotics Development and Business Model?
- Startups and Investors: How to Partner Effectively